Did you know that our Functional Food Solution’s Dietitian, Demi, commutes from the central coast almost daily. This hasn’t prevented her from eating healthy or having time to exercise, so we asked Demi for her survival tips and this is what she came up with:
- Fail to prepare = prepare to fail. Be organized and prepared with your meals. Make breakfast the night before and eat it on the train. Spend Sundays prepping a few different dinners and lunches for the week.
- Make time for exercise. Personally whether it’s rising early, exercising in the evening or even using your lunch break aim to get some movement in every day. Try getting off a stop early to get some extra steps in.
- Have a good repertoire of quick healthy go to dinners – Plan all of your dinners on the weekend so that you only need to do the shopping once. Also appliances like slow cookers and pressure cookers can be big time savers!
- Be productive with your time. Use the morning commute for emails, podcasts, webinars and reading.
- Enjoy some down time. Use your trip home to watch a TV show or read a book so that when you get home you can jump straight into jobs around the house without feeling like you are missing out.
- Ask for help and support – reaching out to partners or housemates to pick up a bit more cooking, house cleaning takes away a lot of the pressure and stress.
- Make sure you get enough rest. Go to bed early. If you haven’t slept enough, catch up by sleeping one way on the train so that you can function well during the day.