Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 tin brown lentils rinsed
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 0.5cm-thick slices
- 400g lean lamb mince
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 medium zucchini, grated, squeezed of excess moisture
- 300g red potatoes, skin on, grated, squeezed of excess moisture
- 400g jar tomato pasta sauce
- 50g reduced-fat feta, crumbled
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat grated cheddar
- 2 cups steamed greens, to serve
- Preheat oven to 220°C. Spray an 18cm x 28cm rectangular baking dish with olive oil and line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Place the eggplant in a single layer on the prepared tray. Spray with olive oil and season with cracked black pepper. Bake for 10 minutes, or until just tender.
- Spray a large non-stick frying pan with olive oil and set over medium heat. Add lamb mince, garlic and oregano; cook, stirring, for 2–3 minutes, or until mince is almost browned. Add the lentils, zucchini and potato, and cook for 2–3 minutes, or until the zucchini is softened.
- Spread 1 cup of pasta sauce in the base of prepared dish. Spread over half of the mince mixture and top with half of the eggplant slices. Spread over the remaining meat sauce and a final layer of eggplant. Finish with remaining tomato pasta sauce. Combine feta and grated cheddar; scatter the cheese over the dish. Bake for 10–15 minutes, or until golden.
- Serve moussaka with steamed greens.
Recipe adapted from Healthy Food Guide Australia