Serves: 16 slices or 20 cupcakes
- 3 ½ (410g) carrots, medium (topped, tailed and scrubbed)
- 2 1/4 cups (250g) walnuts, roasted
- ½ cup (143g) pineapple, finely chopped
- 1 cup (150g) teff flour
- 1 tsp (2g) xanthan gum (optional)
- 3 tsp (9g) baking powder
- ½ cup (50g) oat bran
- ½ cup (80g) linseeds (flax seeds)
- 2 eggs, large
- 1 cup (190g) sugar, raw
- 1 small pinch salt
- 1 vanilla pod (scraped out seeds) (1/2 tsp seeds)
- 3/4 cup (160g) oil, canola
- ½ cup (127g) milk, low fat (lactose free if required)
- Walnut halves to top cake (4g per half)
- Preheat oven to 160°C (175°C if not fan forced).
- Grease 25cm round cake tin/ line with baking paper OR grease 20 large muffin cases.
- Roughly chop walnuts.
- Grate or blitz carrots in a food processor until they are grated texture (not too fine).
- Place eggs, sugar, vanilla seeds, salt and oil in bowl and whisk for ~2 minutes.
- Sift flour, xanthan, baking powder into a large bowl and add linseeds and oat bran. Combine well.
- Add walnuts, pineapple and carrots and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Carefully fold in enough milk to make a batter (not too sloppy or stiff).
- Pour into the cake tin, or muffin cases and top cake(s) with walnut halves.
- Bake for ~ 50 minutes (the cup-cakes will take about 30 minutes). Cool on a rack
Suitable for freezing in airtight containers
Recipe from Monash University www.monashfodmap.com