- 2 x 420g tin chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 300grams lean chicken breast, diced (replace with tofu if after a meat free option)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large brown onions
- 1 tablespoon Moroccan spice blend
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup basmati rice, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup chopped dates
- 2 cups (2cm x 2cm) diced pumpkin
- 700ml salt-reduced chicken stock
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 broccoli floret, finally chopped
- 4 tablespoons natural yoghurt
- 1 lemon
- Coriander to top or herb of choice
- Green beans with toasted flaked almonds to serve on side (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large heavy based saucepan, and cook onions over medium heat for 10 minutes or until browning. Set aside half the onions. Add remaining oil and chicken and stir until golden all over. Add spices and stir until fragrant.
- Add garlic, rice chickpeas, dates and pumpkin and stir to coat in spices. Add stock and scrape th bottom of the pan. Make sure the stock covers the meat, and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover with a lid and simmer for 5-10 minutes, remove lid and add peas and broccoli, stir gently and cover for another 5 minutes.
- Top with reserved onions, fresh herbs of choice, lemon wedge and a generous dollop of yoghurt.