INGREDIENTS (Serves 6-8)
- 600-800g chicken thighs, fat trimmed
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium capsicum, chopped and de-seeded
- 420g crushed tomatoes
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1 bunch Asian green vegetable
- 1 tbsp. chilli powder
- 1 tbsp. rosemary
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups additional water (enough to cover chicken when poaching)
- 2 cups pearl barley
- Avocado and/or Greek yogurt to garnish
- Heat butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic cooking until translucent. Add celery, capsicum, carrots and crushed tinned tomatoes. Stir in spices and cook, stirring for 6-10min or until vegetables tender.
- Add stock, pearl barley and chicken thighs and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, partially cover and simmer gently for 30-40min, or until chicken cooked through. Add Asian green vegetables to the broth to simmer the final 5min.
- Remove from heat. Serve topped with Greek yogurt and/or avocado if desired.
Adapted from Eating Well.