Roasted Beetroot, Citrus & Quinoa Salad
– Vegetarian and filling side dish or meal for summer
- 2 cups dry red quinoa
- 3 medium beets
- 1 ½ cups water
- 2 cups vegetable broth or stock
- 3 medium oranges
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar or freshly squeeze lemon juice
- 1tsp ground black pepper
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley, divided
- ½ cup chopped dates or ½ cup chickpeas (depending on your preference)
- 1 whole pomegranate, seeded
- Pre-heat oven to 180’C. Trim the root end of the beets and remove any greens; rinse and pat dry. Wrap individually in foil. Roast until tender for 1-1.25 hours, depending on size.
- Meanwhile, bring broth, water, quinoa and salt to boil in a large saucepan. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until the liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Transfer to a large serving bowl to cool.
- Zest and juice 1 orange (1/3 cup). Place the juice in a medium bowl. Working over another bowl, cut the remaining 2 oranges into segments and set aside.
- Add the zest, vinegar (or lemon juice), salt and pepper to the juice; gradually whisk in oil in a thin stream until well combined. Stir in ¼ cup parsley.
- When cool enough to handle, peel and dice the roasted beets. Add to the quinoa along with dates (or chickpeas), and gently combine. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat. Serve garnished with reserved orange segments, pomegranate seeds and the remaining 2 tbsps parsley.