- 15 fully ripened medium to large tomatoes, halved
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil.
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp basil, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp sundried tomato paste
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra to toss
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 500g spaghetti
- 700g seafood marinara mix
- 2 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Salt and pepper, to season
- Place the tomatoes, garlic, basil and black pepper into a blender and liquidise.
- Using a large frying pan gently fry the red onion in the olive oil until just golden. Add to blender and liquidise.
- Pour the blender contents into your large pan and bring to the boil. Add the sun dried tomato paste and tomato puree and thoroughly mix. Now gently simmer, stirring frequently for 10 – 15 minutes and reduce until you have the perfect passata.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, add onion and cook for 3-4 minutes or until softened.
- Add garlic, and simmer 2 minutes. Add passata, and simmer 15-20 minutes further, stirring occasionally until slightly thickened. Season well.
- Meanwhile cook the pasta in boiling, salted water until al dente. Drain and toss in a little olive oil.
- Add marinara mix and mussels to tomato sauce, cover with lid and cook 3-4 minutes over medium-high heat, discarding any mussels that do not open.
- Stir in parsley, then toss the sauce through the pasta and serve.