A delicious protein packed, vegetarian dish of eggs, tomatoes, and spices popular across the Middle East and North Africa. Enjoy at breakfast, lunch or dinner.
- ½ red onion
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 capsicum, diced
- ½ bunch parsley
- 420g tin diced tomatoes
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- 200g low fat feta cheese
- 6 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan-forced. To prepare the ingredients, finely slice the red onion. Peel and crush the garlic. Cut the red capsicum into 2 cm pieces. Finely chop the parsley, wash the baby spinach, and crumble the feta cheese.
- In a medium ovenproof pan add the olive oil and heat over a medium-high heat. Add the red onion and cook for 3-4 minutes until soft. Add the garlic, smoked paprika and red capsicum, then cook for 5 minutes, stirring regularly. Add the diced tomatoes, ¼ cup hot water and half the parsley and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir through the baby spinach and cook for a further 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove the pan from the heat. Tip: If you don’t have an ovenproof frying pan, transfer the mixture to a large baking dish.
- With a spoon make a little well in the sauce and crack one of the eggs into the well, repeat until you have added all of the eggs. Tip: Crack each egg into a mug or small bowl individually and then gently pour into the sauce, this ensures any shells or bad eggs are kept separate from the sauce.
- Sprinkle the feta cheese over the top and place into the oven for 15 minutes, or until the egg whites have set
- Sprinkle with the remaining parsley and serve with the crusty bread
Recipe adapted from Hello Fresh