- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 kg (4 large or 6 small) beef cheeks, fat trimmed
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely diced
- 1 medium carrot, roughly diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 C red wine (full bodied eg. Cabernet Sauvignon)
- 5 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 250mL (1C) beef stock
- 5 tsp dried thyme
- 3 C steamed greens (eg. spinach, broccoli, beans)
- 2 sweet potatoes, mashed
- Prepare the beef cheeks by seasoning with salt and pepper all over.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large heavy-based pan over high heat. Sear beef cheeks on each side until browned. Remove beef cheeks onto a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Turn down stove to medium heat and add remaining 1tbsp oil. Cook garlic, onion, carrot and celery until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer vegetable mixture into slow cooker pot and place beef cheeks on top.
- Pour wine into saucepan and return to heat. Bring to simmer and let simmer to 1 minute.
- Pour wine into slow-cooker and remaining ingredients.
- Cook in slow cooker on low for 8 hours or high for 5-6 hours.
- Once cooked, remove beef cheeks from slow cooker and set aside.
- Blend remaining liquid in slow cooker to form a puree.
- Transfer puree to saucepan and simmer over medium-high heat until reduced to a gravy consistency (it will turn a dark-brown colour)
- Add beef cheeks to saucepan to cover with sauce
- Serve with mash and vegetables and spoon gravy over the top.