Top 5 tips to help you enjoy live sporting events without blowing out your waistline (and your credit card).
There is nothing quite like watching your favourite team play live. The atmosphere is contagious but it can make it tricky to navigate food and beverage choices at lots of venues. Lets face it, often there isn’t too much to choose from. We have compiled our top 5 tips to help keep the overindulgence to a minimum whilst still having a good time.
- Bringing snacks from home is a great way to avoid the high fat chips and save money. Snacks such as fruit, mixed nuts, popcorn, flavoured fav-va beans, hummus or cheese with vita wheat’s and carrots are easy portable snack options. Why not try our spiced nuts recipe.
- Opting for the mini pizza or hamburger options instead of the hot dogs and meat pies. This will help you get some nutrition without all of the extra kilojoules. Stay away from the meal upgrades and the soft drinks + chips combos.
- Go out for a meal or eat at home beforehand if the game is in-between meal times. This gives you the chance to save money and choose something more nutritious (and most likely more delicious).
- Choose water. When purchasing food opt for water as your beverage of choice and sip on water in-between alcoholic beverages to keep you hydrated. This will also reduce the amount of excess energy coming from beverages. Bonus tip: bring your own water to avoid breaking the bank.
- When it comes to alcohol opt for light beer or a spirit with soda water to help keep the kilojoules down. Over two hours the energy intake can really add up. Also, if you don’t want to drink much then don’t join in to ‘rounds’ from the start, otherwise it is easy to lose track of how many beers you have had.